Thursday, August 26, 2010

Free Apples!

The other day while taking my wife to work I noticed something unusual. There was an Apple tree hanging out over the sidewalk between the Autozone and a small shopping center. So, I checked it out. The tree was growing at the edge of the sidewalk, wind-fall fruit was on the ground and smashed in the street. I picked a great big bag for home. This got me to thinking. Once upon a time (about 30 yrs) this whole area was farmland. Where there is one tree there has to be more. i started looking around, a little closer. About 3 blocks away I found 2 more trees. They are in a vacant lot all overgrown with tall grass and weeds. The branches are just loaded with apples. All together I got close to 40 #'s of Free apples. My wife was jumping up and down. She loves apples. Especially dried apples. This gave me a reason to unpack another new toy.
We bought this little gem last winter from Cabela's and had yet to try it out. Right away I was impressed. It has a temperature control that is easy to read and set. We ran it all night dried out some of our find.

No comments:

Post a Comment