Monday, March 8, 2010

How the Bunny grows my Tomatoes

As you know I have been all worked up about getting into the garden. This morning I got out there and worked a little home-grown fertilizer into the soil. Basically I added the current crop of "bunny Poo" or rabbit manure to the area and worked in with the hand tiller. A funny story how we ended up with THE BUNNY, her majesty Gwen. Several years ago, Heather, my wife, went to a Yarn Festival in Bethel Missouri. When she left I told her "nothing living" who knows, she could have come home with a sheep! She returned with a big smile on her face and a little French Angora Bunny.

The whole Idea was this: Heather would groom the bunny (who would sit still) and then spin the fur/hair into yarn. Right. The first time she "plucked" the rabbit it BIT her and hopped off. So, she became a Pet not a project. Rabbit manure, unlike horse or cow, can be added directly to the garden and will not "burn" the plants. Earthworms love it. I use unscented ground corn cob as bedding for the rabbits cage. This is for two reasons. First, the cob material is biodegradable and will add organic material to soil. The second reason is one of finances, its cheap. A 50# bag of cob is about $10 dollars from the feed store. An 8-10 # bag of a similar material from the PET store   $10 dollars. The feed store is a better deal. I get my rabbit pellets there also.
 That was several years ago. Now Gwen the bunny is more like Gwen the Super Rabbit. She got Big Fast! Larger than a average cat she weighs about 10 pounds.

We clean her cage every couple of weeks, saving the bedding and "addition" to the garden. Generally, I add it to the compost pile. Next weekend we will start filling the planters and raised beds that we have been working on. I intend to mix compost, Bunny Poo, Hummus, and garden soil together. This should give me a "good mix" for most of my veggies. I'll keep you informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment