Saturday, March 6, 2010

Spring is Fast Approaching


Spring is almost here. My wife and I are just itching to go play in the dirt. We got out this morning and tilled the garden beds up, cut back the brush, and cut down a small tree. I saved all the leaves and brush, it will make a good start for the Compost bin. My plan is too put in my potatoes, carrots, and beets next weekend (weather permitting). I'm going to use a Modified planting scheme similar to the Old tire planters described by Backwoods Home Magazine. There was an article in the New issue about growing in Straw. I'm going to use plastic Tubs. I plan to punch a few holes for drainage and set them on rocks. Inside the tubs I will fill with a mixture of compost, straw, and leaves. We just bought a couple of Used tubs from the Goodwill store for $3 bucks a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment