Monday, February 1, 2010

Making GORP

Gorp. It sounds like something an Alien would say just before he Probed you. Its a familiar term for the Hiking and Backpacking crowd. According to Wikipedia its short for "good old raisins and peanuts". To those from New Zealand and Austrailia its called Scroggin. Author Jack Kerouac wrote about Gorp in his book "Dharma Bums" (get a free ebook copy HERE). The Idea is very simple. Easy snack food that is both high in energy and high in Fiber. Its something that will give you that added long term boost that candy alone won't do. The recipe is Easy. Its all up to your tasted and creativity. Here's some Ideas.
  • Granola
  • Nuts
  • sunflower seeds
  • soynuts
  • corn flakes
  • raisins
  • M & M's 
  • Chocolate chips
  • Flax seed
  • Dried fruit
What I like to do is this. I buy Granola cereal from the grocery store. If you watch for sales you can get it cheaper that way. I put the granola in a gallon sized ziploc bag. I then add nut, raisins, and chocolate chips that i buy at the dollar store. Depending on what I have on hand I add other things. Every batch I make is a little different. I made some this morning with granola, raisins, chocolate chips, corn flakes, assorted nuts, and chocolate covered soy nuts. When its mixed well, I portion it out into sandwich bags. This makes a nice sized snack good for most anything. Be creative and Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment