Monday, June 21, 2010

Garden Update for June 21, 2010

  Summer is finally here. With it comes the god-awful heat. Here in St Charles it is very hot and muggy out. Its the cost of living near the river. Temperatures have been in the mid to upper 90's all week. The veggies are loving it. My potato plants have started to die back. I peeked and there are some new potatoes in the tubs. In a week or so I will pull the vines.
The Tomatoes have been staked and ties off. Already there is fruit on the plants.
The squash behind the tomatoes is spreading out and is in bloom. I planted two types of beans this year. Dragons tongue beans which we got from Baker Creek Seeds
and Cow peas which came from the Hardware store (Ace). So far the Dragons tongue beans are about a foot high and are starting to flower.
The Cow Peas are also a foot high but no flowers yet.
The tub of lettuce has been producing fairly well. I'm still not happy with the mix. I think next year we will just stick with a single variety. The beets that were planted back in March are doing very well. I peeked at them also and they look good. The onions are doing OK, but I not entirely happy with them. The Carrots are about a foot high and are doing well. The big winner this week are the Double Yield Cucumbers that we planted. Each Hill got 3 seeds. Of those only one seed failed to come up. Personally, I think the squirrels got it. The Tepee that I constructed from fallen branches has worked like a charm.
All eleven of the plants are climbing up the poles and the string. Dozens of flowers are blooming. In a few weeks after the potatoes finish "curing", the tubs they were in will be replanted. I'm think a late crop of Turnips, rutabagas, and Kohlrabi would be fun

No comments:

Post a Comment