Monday, May 31, 2010

Garden Update for Memorial Day 2010


Happy Memorial day! For those of you who have served, THANK YOU for your service.
It's very warm and muggy here in Missouri. It was supposed to rain today, but it looks like it passed us by. The Garden is looking really good. The above picture is of the Dragons Tongue bush beans.
All 9 Tomato plants are doing nicely. The squash plants to the rear are spreading out. Some of the leaves look a little yellow, but I think those are the old leaves not the new.
The Beets are looking really good. I have thinned them some, feeding the plants to the "Bunny". (My fertilizer machine) Young beet plants can be eaten and are good as a salad or a pot herb.
The Lettuce is really looking good considering the state it was in a month ago. I don't think I will plant this "mix" again. No offense to Seed Savers but I would rather plant one specific kind rather than a mix.
The double yield Cucumbers are doing very nice. I told my wife this morning that its hard to believe they started out as seeds. The plants are beginning to vine out, when they do I will wrap the "tepee" in twine to give them support.
As always the Potatoes are Great. I had to move the reds over a little. Not enough sun.

Last but not least, the Cowpeas are beginning to vine out. I planted the pepper plants (in the foreground) just a few weeks ago but even they have new growth. Because of the heat I have been watering all of the plants both early in the day and at dusk everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment