Sunday, May 9, 2010

Thoughts on Prepping for this summer.

       Now that I have gotten the garden 75% of the way planted, I've started thinking on what to work on next. In a few months the Drying and Canning will begin. Over the winter we purchased supplies to prepare for that event. Our storage unit hold the 150 canning jars, pounds of salt, and canning apparatus. My wife and I discussed this the other day. What exactly are we prepping for and why. Knowing this will determine what to do this Summer.
  For us, I think, we are prepping for 3 things: A possible Earthquake, Economic collapse or turmoil, and a Terrorist event. First the earthquake. The St Charles area (and St Louis) is on the New Madrid Fault line. As those in California like to say "the Big one is just around the corner". I could happen. If it does, there is a chance that the highway overpasses may collapse. That and the bridges. The Yellowstone Caldera is a faint possibility included in this. (now I really sound paranoid). Second Issue is some sort of Economic issue. This countries economy is not on solid ground right now. Too much debt and little or no financial planning. My 13 yrs old niece could do a better job in balancing the check book. Grocery Prices are already on the rise. Third is a terrorist attack. Not something that any planning can totally cover. More contingency planning than anything else. Because Missouri has Nuclear Power plants we are going to get some IoSat (potassium Iodine pills) and Gas masks. Terrorist acts are a major What if? when planning.
  So back to the original question of what is our next project. With the garden in hand we are going to concentrate on prepping/storing more grains, pasta, and seasonings. In the coming months I'll document the dehydration process for fruits and Vegetable that I grow and buy.  I expect to buy some rice and Grain from local specialty grocery stores in the area.
 Pasta is very easy to get and to store. Right now BIG LOTS is the best deal in town for buying pasta. I'm not talking about Spagetti  type noodles. Macaroni and other types of pasta is fairly cheap. I try not to pay more than a dollar for 16 oz / 1 pound of any specific type of pasta. Generally I pay about .80 cents a pkg at Big lots. This price has gone up since last year. I was paying between .50 - 60 cents per box. Just buy a few bags when you buy other stuff. It all adds up

No comments:

Post a Comment